Montag, 2. August 2010

Being British in Bavaria ain't easy - Reason One

Being British in Bavaria ain't easy. At the moment I'm trying to enhance my credentials by gaining the State Teaching Exam. This theoretically gives access to the German state school system and a fixed teaching position for life. In troubled economic times not such a bad idea as a backup to temporary contracts and freelancing. Being Germany however things aren't ever as they seem: I've just learnt the whole exam has to be written in German and covers everything from a blow-by-blow transcriptional analysis of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles to a steady-as-you-go translation of the New Authoriszed English Bible (King James version). None of which is ever likely to appear on the state teaching curriculum, but that, so I'm told, is not the point. I guess it's more about just being always a few steps ahead of the pupils.....

Empfohlener Beitrag

I bin a Holledauer

Welcome to the gang - uniform's on the way. “Du spielst doch auch Becken, oder?" (you DO play "Becken", DON'T ...